In 1861 , the architect Joseph Auguste Émile Vaudremer , which was the first major public commission, was entrusted with the task of drawing up the plans for a new prison which would be built on the site of a former «market». to the coals. This one will be built between 1863 and 1868 1 .
Previously, on the same premises, stood a «House of Health», built by order of Anne of Austria , transferred in 1651 to what is today the Sainte-Anne hospital (south).
The decision to build this prison is taken because of the need to demolish the prison of Madelonnettes , too small and located on the route of the future street Turbigo . Eleventh prison of the capital, the prison of health is inaugurated on August 20, 1867 2 .
Originally, the establishment has 500 cells , increased to 1,000 following the closure of the Paris prison Grande Roquette in 1900. They are 4 meters long, 2.5 wide and 3 high. There were up to 2,000 inmates, divided into fourteen divisions. First dual jail (cell area and auburnien district ) prison adopts Pennsylvanian regime and became a fully jail cell in the early xx th century 1 , 3 .
The prison is built on a plot of 2.8
hectares trapezoidal , box